Rightsizing the national government and promoting e-governance and digital connectivity across the country were among President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s promises in his 2022 SONA. This is still work in progress as the Congress has yet to pass these measures into law.
The Marcos administration failed to reach the target of issuing 92 million national IDs by June 30. As of June 16, the Philippine Statistics Authority said it has issued only 70.23 million physical and electronic national IDs.
In his 2022 SONA, Marcos did not talk about specific means to curb corruption. He has not made comments on corruption issues hounding his administration up until now.
In a July 3 speech, Baguio City Mayor Benjamin “Benjie” Magalong said government officials profit from infrastructure projects as contractors, suppliers, or both. Around 45% of a government project’s budget goes to kickbacks, Magalong elaborated in a July 6 interview on ONE News’ The Chiefs.
Marcos was also mum about the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG), which was established in 1986 to recover the Marcos family’s ill-gotten wealth. The PCGG still has 87 pending cases to be resolved in seven years, but there are threats to its existing operation.
The PCGG “disposed” of its office building in 2022 for P800 million, according to the Commission on Audit’s 2022 Annual Report. Manila Rep. Bienvenido “Benny” Abante Jr. filed a House bill on Sept. 1, 2022, seeking to abolish the PCGG for “outliving its usefulness.”
VERA Files Fact Check tracks the promises the president made on corruption and good governance in his first SONA last 2022. See how the Marcos administration fared:
Find out how Marcos Jr. fared in other sectors
Have you seen any dubious claims, photos, memes, or online posts that you want us to verify? Fill out this reader request form or send it to VERA, the truth bot on Viber.
Philippine National Police official Facebook page, Flag Raising Ceremony, Awarding of PNP Personnel, and 28th PCR Month (timestamp 39:31), July 3, 2023 ONE News, THE CHIEFS | 07.06.23 | About 45% of gov’t project cost goes to “tongpats”? Magalong tells us how, July 6, 2023 The Official Gazette, Executive Order No. 1, s. 1986, Feb. 28, 1986 House of Representatives Facebook page, 1st Regular Meeting of the Committee on Justice, Aug, 24, 2022 ABS-CBN News, COA: PCGG building ‘disposed’ last year for P800 million, June 13, 2023 Manila Standard, COA flags PCGG on sale of Mandaluyong properties, June 13, 2023 The Philippine Star, PCGG building sold for P800 million – COA, June 16, 2023 Commission on Audit, Presidential Commission on Good Government | Notes to Financial Statements | For the Year Ended December 31, 2022, accessed July 13, 2023 House of Representatives, House Bill No. 4331, Sept. 1, 2022 On digitizing government warehouses
- Department of Information and Communications Technology, National Government Data Center (NGDC), accessed July 5, 2023
- Philippine News Agency, DICT wants to interconnect more gov’t agencies in west Visayas, May 9, 2018
- Senate of the Philippines official YouTube channel, Committee on Finance – Subcommittee “K” (September 20, 2022), accessed July 5, 2023
On continuing the National Broadband Plan
- Philippine Information Agency, Internet connection reaches remote areas, June 5, 2023
- Department of Information and Communications Technology – DICT official Facebook page, DICT lights up National Fiber Backbone Phase 1 in Baler, April 27, 2023
- Department of Information and Communications Technology – DICT official Facebook page, LUZON BYPASS INFRASTRUCTURE, Oct. 7, 2022
On passing the National Government Rightsizing Program
- House of Representatives, House Bill No. 7240, accessed July 3, 2023
- Senate of the Philippines, Senate Bill No. 2126, 1779, 1474, 890, accessed July 3, 2023
On passing the Internet Transactions Act
- House of Representatives, House Bill No. 4, accessed July 3, 2023
- Senate of the Philippines, 19th Congress Search Result (archived), accessed July 3, 2023
- Senate of the Philippines, Senate Bill No. 1846 Legislative History, accessed July 13, 2023
On passing the E-Governance Act
- House of Representatives, House Bill No. 7327, accessed July 3, 2023
- House of Representatives, House passes E-Governance Act for faster services to the public, March 6, 2023
- Senate of the Philippines, 19th Congress Search Result (archived), accessed July 5, 2023
- Philippine News Agency, PBBM to DICT: e-Gov system update vital for LGUs’ convenience
On issuing national IDs
(Guided by the code of principles of the International Fact-Checking Network at Poynter, VERA Files tracks the false claims, flip-flops, misleading statements of public officials and figures, and debunks them with factual evidence. Find out more about this initiative and our methodology.)