(Last of seven parts) In the May 9 elections, Filipino voters will choose 12 among 64 candidates for the Senate for a term of six years. The primary job of a senator is to craft pieces of legislation to address policy gaps, improve existing laws through amendments, scrutinize the national government’s proposed annual budget, exercise oversight functions, among other duties.
In this seven-part series, VERA Files Fact Check dug up relevant information about select senatorial hopefuls to help the electorate in making the choice.
From the Commission on Elections’ official list of 64 senatorial candidates, we narrowed it down to 31 based on the following criteria:
- Former government officials;
- Members of, or those backed by major political parties or top presidential and vice presidential slates; and
- Candidates that have made it at least once in the top 20 of pre-election surveys conducted by independent pollsters Pulse Asia and Social Weather Stations.
The 31 candidates were then grouped based on their Senate experience – those with and those without – then arranged alphabetically.
Each profile contains the candidate’s legislative agenda, government experience or field of expertise, issues and controversies faced, relatives in government and other interesting facts. Also included are the pertinent fact checks of, or related to the candidate, done by VERA Files Fact Check and its media and academic partners in the Tsek.ph collaboration.
The last of this seven-part series covers former vice president Jejomar Binay, former Ifugao representative Teddy Baguilat, former Eastern Samar governor Lutgardo Barbo, former Quezon City mayor Herbert Bautista, and former Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission chairperson Greco Belgica. Binay, if elected, will join his daughter, Nancy Binay, in the Senate.
Know more about your senatorial bets:
Teodoro “Teddy” Baguilat
Lutgardo “Lutz” Barbo
Herbert Constantine Bautista
Greco Antonious Beda Belgica
Jejomar “Jojo” Binay
Editor’s note: This series was produced with the help of two students of the University of the Philippines Baguio as part of their internship at VERA Files.
Have you seen any dubious claims, photos, memes, or online posts that you want us to verify? Fill out this reader request form or send it to ‘VERA, the truth bot’ on Viber.
- ABS-CBN News, Baguilat asks Sandiganbayan to dismiss graft raps over vehicle purchase, March 16, 2018
- CNN Philippines, Lawmakers cry foul over inclusion in PACC corruption list, ready to submit to probe, Dec. 29, 2020
- CNN Philippines, Robredo-Pangilinan tandem bares senatorial slate, 12th spot up for grabs, Oct. 15, 2021.
- Inquirer.net, Cub-reporter-turned-lawmaker recalls Edsa’s ‘game of generals’, Feb. 25, 2017
- Inquirer.net Opinion, When fathers bury their sons, March 6, 2018
- Inquirer.net, 1Sambayan names 7 aspirants in its 2022 Senate lineup, Jan. 19, 2022
- Manila Bulletin, Prosecution opposes Sandiganbayan’s acquittal of Ifugao lawmaker, March. 2, 2018
- Philstar.com, Ifugao lawmaker faces graft raps for ‘overpriced’ vehicle, Feb. 24, 2018
- Teddy Baguilat Official Website, Kilalanin si Teddy Baguilat, n.d.
- Teddy Baguilat Official Website, Our Accomplishments: Ano ang ating nagawa para sa bayan?, n.d.
- Teddy Baguilat Official Facebook Page, Teddy Baguilat Para sa Senado, Feb. 12, 2022
- Teddy Baguilat Official Twitter Post, July 30, 2021
- Lutz Barbo Official Website, Lutz Barbo: Stories of Achievement
- Lutz Barbo Official Website, Lutz Barbo: The Peacemaker, article from the Manila Times.
- Lutz Barbo Official Facebook Page, Lutz Barbo Career Highlights
- Senate of the Philippines, List of Previous Senators with Senate Secretaries
- Office of the Ombudsman, Ombudsman completes fact-finding investigation on Binay, BSP and BIR officials over sale of Malugay property, June 11, 2018
- Business World, Graft charges recommended vs former vice-president, 36 others, June 13, 2018
- Rappler, Ombudsman pursues criminal probe vs Binay over Boy Scouts deal, June 13, 2018
- GMA News Online, Ombudsman panel recommends graft raps vs. ex-VP Binay, June 13, 2018
- Rappler, ‘Original’ PDP-Laban ousts Duterte as party chairman, Aug. 29, 2021
- The Washington Post, Estrada Impeachment Trial Thrown Into Chaos, Jan. 17, 2001
- CBS News, Prosecutors In Estrada Trial Resign, Dec. 6, 2000
- Los Angeles Times, Philippine Senate Won’t Open Bank Files in Impeachment Trial, Jan. 17, 2001
- Senate of the Philippines, Senate official gets compensation as Martial Law victim, May 22, 2017
- Inquirer.net, PDP-Laban: From fighting dictatorship to fighting each other, July 16, 2021
- ABS-CBN news, Senate bet Lutgardo Barbo eyes ban on political turncoats, dynasties, March 29, 2022
- ABS-CBN News, ‘Nabudol-budol kami:’ Duterte holding on to power for personal reasons – PDP-Laban exec, Aug. 26, 2021
- Rappler, From Senate secretary, Lutgardo Barbo now wants to be senator, Oct. 1, 2021
- Rappler, STREAM 2: Filing of certificates of candidacy for 2022 Philippine elections, Oct. 1, 2021
- One News PH, THE CHIEFS with Lutgardo Barbo, Oct. 4, 2021
- CNN Philippines, The Filipino Votes: Senatorial Forum, March 13, 2022.
- Manila Bulletin, Pacquiao camp to purge list of adopted senatorial bets, Feb. 16, 2022
- ABS-CBN News, ‘Nabudol-budol kami:’ Duterte holding on to power for personal reasons – PDP-Laban exec, Aug. 26, 2021
- Herbert “Bistek” Bautista Official Facebook Page
- Philippine News Agency, Outgoing QC Mayor Bistek’s colorful 33-year political career, May 28, 2019
- Quezon City Government Official Website, Quezon City Leaders
- CNN Philippines, The Filipino Votes: Senatorial Forum, Feb. 13, 2022
- One News PH, THE CHIEFS with Herbert Bautista, March 2, 2022
- Philstar.com, COA lauds Quezon City’s socialized housing project, Aug. 2, 2022
- Philippine Daily Inquirer, QC housing program, sexual health center win Galing Pook awards, Nov. 9, 2014
- Manila Bulletin, Bautista to offer ‘housing for all’ if elected senator, Feb. 9, 2022
- Rappler, VACC files complaints vs Herbert, Hero Bautista over QC drug problem, Aug. 27, 2016
- GMA News, QRT: Mayor Herbert Bautista at Councilor Hero Bautista, sinampahan ng reklamo sa Ombudsman, Aug. 26, 2016
- Inquirer.net, Herbert Bautista, brother Hero sued over drugs, Aug. 26, 2016
- ABS-CBN News, Raps filed vs Herbert, Hero over illegal drugs in QC, Aug. 26, 2016
- Inquirer.net, Bistek on VACC raps: I’ve been against drugs since show biz days, Aug. 28, 2016
- ABS-CBN News, QC Mayor Herbert, 6 others face graft raps, Aug. 31, 2012
- Inquirer.net, QC gov’t shuts down Manila Seedling Bank, Dec. 10, 2013
- ABS-CBN News, Ex-QC mayor Herbert ‘Bistek’ Bautista joins 2022 Senate race, Oct. 6, 2021
- Philstar.com, Ex-QC Mayor Bistek sued for graft over P25-M solar power project, March 3, 2020.
- GMA News Online, QC gov’t sues ex-mayor Bistek over P25M solar power project sans city council nod
- The Manila Times, Ex-QC Mayor charged with graft, March 4, 2020
- The Manila Times, Plunder complaint filed vs ex-QC mayor, Feb. 3, 2020
- ABS-CBN News, Ex-QC Mayor Herbert Bautista sinampahan ng ika-3 kaso ng katiwalian, March 30, 2020
- ABS-CBN News, Bistek slaps drug suspect, says sorry, Aug. 10, 2014
- GMA News, 24Oras: Nahuling umano’y drug dealer, natikman ang bagsik ni Mayor Herbert Bautista, Aug. 8, 2014
- ABS-CBN News, Mayor Herbert’s dad Butch Bautista passes away, Feb. 13, 2017
- Manila Bulletin, Army relieves Robin Padilla, Herbert Bautista, other reservists running in ‘22 polls, Dec. 7, 2021
- GMA News Online, Marcos-Duterte bares six in UniTeam’s Senate slate for Eleksyon 2022, Jan. 19, 2022
- Philippine Daily Inquirer, Manila Seedling Bank vs QC government, Dec. 13, 2013
- ABS-CBN News, PH’s tallest structure to rise in QC, July 14, 2014
- Greco Belgica Official Website, Significant Achievements
- Greco Belgica Website, The Greco Belgica Story
- Inquirer.net, PhilHealth lost over P153B since 2013 due to fraud, PACC exec says, Aug. 7, 2020
- Inquirer.net, PACC initial report: Fire or charge 36 PhilHealth officials over corruption, Aug. 5, 2020
- One News, PACC: Remove ‘Corrupt’ PhilHealth Officials From ‘Head To Foot’; More Allegations Surface During Senate Probe
- Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission, Project Kasangga, NACC Signing
- Philstar.com, New multi-agency body offers new acronyms, few details on fight vs corruption, Sept. 5, 2021.
- ABS-CBN News, Hours after Duterte rant vs Senate probe, PACC launches council vs corruption, Sept. 3, 2021
- Manila Bulletin, Gov’t launches anti-corruption drive as talks of public funds misuse linger, Sept. 3, 2021
- Inquirer.net, WATCH: Duterte endorses Greco Belgica for Senate run, Feb. 9, 2022
- Inquirer.net, Greco Belgica: My family and I would not be alive if not for what Ferdinand Marcos did for my father, Feb. 14, 2022
- Supreme Court E-Library, G.R. No. 208566, Nov. 19, 2013
- Inquirer.net, SC declares PDAF unconstitutional, Nov. 19, 2013
- Philstar.com, SC declares PDAF unconstitutional, Nov. 19, 2013
- ABS-CBN, SC ruling on PDAF a victory, says Belgica, Nov. 19, 2013
- Butch Belgica Official Website
- Anti-Red Tape Authority, Director General
- Philstar.com, Greco Belgica: Young and innovative, March 27, 2013.
- Rappler.com, The Leader I Want: Greco Belgica’s to-fix list for 2016, April 7, 2016
- Inquirer.net, Senatorial bet Greco Belgica decries disqualification case over poll expenses, Dec. 31, 2015.
- Philstar.com, Pamatong, 91 others face perpetual disqualification, April 18, 2015.
- Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism, 95 SOCE non-filers running again,
- despite ‘perpetual disqualification’, May 5, 2016.
- Inquirer.net, Comelec lists ‘perpetually disqualified’ candidates who failed to file SOCEs, April 18, 2018.
- Commission on Elections, List of Candidates Who Are Perpetually Disqualified to Hold Public Office, April 13, 2018.
- Rappler, What is PDDS, the party backing Bong Go’s presidential bid?, Nov. 13, 2021.
- CNN Philippines, Senatorial candidate Greco Belgica | The Source, Feb. 22, 2022
- CNN Philippines, The Filipino Votes: Senatorial Forum, March 6, 2022.
- DZRH News, Tweet on Ireklamo kay Greco
- Philippine News Agency, 2 PCOO execs among NDCP’s E-MNSA pioneer graduates, Aug. 8, 2021
- Pia Ranada on Twitter, Grepor Belgica, evangelist and father of PACC commissioner Greco Belgica, appointed Presidential Adviser for Religious Affairs by President Duterte, May 23, 2019
- The Manila Times, Belgica named adviser for religious affairs, May 24, 2019
- Manila Bulletin, Duterte appoints new batch of gov’t officials, May 23, 2019
- Inquirer.net, Duterte appoints Greco Belgica’s brother as Anti-Red Tape Authority chief, July 5, 2019
- Rappler, Jeremiah Belgica appointed Anti-Red Tape Authority chief, July 5, 2019
- Business World, Jeremiah Belgica to head Anti-Red Tape Authority, July 5, 2019
- Commission on Election, COMELEC Reminds Candidates: Win or Lose, File Your SOCE, April 17, 2018
- The Philippine Star, 274 DAP raps filed vs Benigno Aquino III, allies, Oct. 16, 2018
- ABS-CBN News, Group files malversation complaints vs Aquino, allies over DAP, Oct. 15, 2018
- Inquirer.net, Aquino, former Cabinet officials, senators sued over DAP, Oct. 15, 2018
- CNN Philippines, Senatorial hopeful Belgica bats for death penalty vs. corruption, creation of COVID-19 clinics, Nov. 17, 2021
- Philippine News Agency, PACC renews push for death penalty for corrupt officials, Aug. 2, 2020
- Manila Bulletin, Ex-VP Binay starts senatorial campaign, Feb. 8, 2022
- Inquirer.net, Binay on political dynasty: Why ban qualified people from gov’t post?, Feb. 21, 2016
- ABS-CBN News, Profile of Jejomar “Jojo” Cabauatan Binay, May 13, 2009
- LinkedIn, Jejomar Binay, n.d.
- Metro Manila Development Authority Official Document, n.d.
- Inquirer.net, Binay reelected BSP president unopposed, June 22, 2015
- Inquirer.net, By serving as BSP head, did Binay violate law?, June 23, 2015
- Inquirer.net, SC asked to remove Binay from BSP, Oct. 31, 2015
- CNN Philippines, Mercado files another plunder complaint vs. VP Binay, Oct. 6, 2015
- Philstar Global, Ombudsman probers want Binay charged over Boy Scouts building sale,
- June 13, 2018
- Philstar.com, Binay suspended for 60 days, Oct. 18, 2006
- Inquirer.net, Binay got P2B from deals of ‘ghosts,’ IT services—Trillanes, Aug. 26, 2015
- Office of the Ombudsman Integrity Watch, VP Binay & Mayor Binay, Jr, 22 others face criminal charges for Makati carpark case, December 2015
- World Mayor, Profile of Jejomar Binay
- Inquirer.net, DILG should investigate Mayor Binay, says Senator Alan Cayetano, Dec. 20, 2013
- Rappler, Jejomar Binay seeks political comeback as senator in 2022, Oct. 5, 2021
- Philstar.com, Ex-VP Binay seeks Senate seat in 2022, Oct. 7, 2021
- ABS-CBN News, Profile of Jejomar “Jojo” Cabauatan Binay, March 13, 2009
- Rappler, 9 things to know about Jejomar Binay, Oct. 11, 2015
- Rappler, 1Sambayan names 6 nominees for president, VP in 2022, June 12, 2021
- Inquirer.net, Ex-VP Binay vies for Senate seat, files candidacy for 2022 polls, Oct. 7, 2021
- Kiddle, Jejomar Binay
- Manila Bulletin, Ex-VP Binay joining 24th World Scout Jamboree in US, July 12, 2019
(Guided by the code of principles of the International Fact-Checking Network at Poynter, VERA Files tracks the false claims, flip-flops, misleading statements of public officials and figures, and debunks them with factual evidence. Find out more about this initiative and our methodology.)